Jentri on Facebook

Sunday, July 8, 2012

All The Good Ones

In 2006 I wrote my first screenplay in college, All The Good Ones. Once I graduated I felt the same way I do today - that stories aren't written to be reserved... hoarded...  or put away in the top of a closet until discolored. And since I didn't have a literary agent or specific film agenda at the time, I posted in on simply scripts - a free online community where screenwriters can share/read others' work.

Since then, it's been optioned twice, (producer) developed for picture at the NYFA, and most recently, to my pleasant surprise, I found a short film based on it via youtube.  Someday, I want to actually make this feature... but until then, you'll have to enjoy this short interpretation by a group of talented young NY filmmakers... or find it online & read it for yourself. :)





All The Good Ones was the first full screenplay I ever wrote in college.  All I knew is that I had a story to tell, based on a personal relationship, and I wanted to tell it in the most honest, yet bold, kind of way, with respect to those (previously) involved. For the sake of good storytelling, I also knew that elements would have to be adjusted, embellished, and slightly manipulated, but the message was more important to me than the details. 
ATGO deals with a (female) teenager's first experience with love, drugs, death, and independence, and how she chooses deal with it. We all carry around inside of us a deep desire to be wanted, understood, loved, and heard. In a way, ATGO is just about a young woman's journey to make sense of the world, and survive in the dysfunctional one she's helped create.

Story's struggle is that she doesn't understand, yet, that love simply isn't enough to make a relationship work. What Billy doesn't understand is that he's not invincible. Together, they believe they'll be OK, despite the abusive nature of their connection.

I think that everyone can relate to falling in love for the first time. Or loving someone so much, even when it's not good, but not being able to stop. This is a die hard love story about teenage firsts, loss, consequences, and a little bit of everything crazy in between.

Jentri Chancey 

No comments:

Post a Comment