Jentri on Facebook

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Why I love musician, Doug Burr









I ran into Doug Burr for the first time about a year ago at Stubbs when he was performing. My husband, Shad, and Doug are 'old buddies' from way back when, and Shad wanted to say hello. If you know me, you know I don't go out much (hey, give me some slack, I'm a writer, we're weird like that!) so there was something synergistic going on for sure! ;) I was pretty impressed with his sound instantaneously. Before we left, we chatted with him a bit. Shad told him I was working on a film, so he gave me a couple of his CD's. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with his vibe. His music just has this capability to create visuals for me.. his music carries some of the scenes in my head, ones that've been there for so long, with no specific musicality emotionally attached.

I approached Doug with my script and asked him if he'd be interested in having some of his music accompany our picture. He was warmly responsive, and tonight was no exception. I saw him perform at J Blacks, and he sounded incredible. I'm telling you, his music just has a filmic quality about it... I can't put my finger on it, other than to say that. Some music has 'it' and some doesn't. By no means do I keep up with the latest, hottest bands. But I know something special when I hear it. And he's got that.

So does Larissa Ness, who wrote the beautiful theme song for Lost In Sunshine. BTW, if you're in NY this Thurs. you can hear her play, and she's informed me she'll be singing LIS there! Go, Larissa!

Back to Doug Burr...

Doug and I talked a bit more today and he said something that I really appreciated and could relate to.. he said that it's not really about the money. He said he understands how these types of projects are labors of love, and that if we are just thinking about money, it's never going to happen. AMEN, brother. It's a big world out there.. and nice to still meet people every day that still get that.

This is super impressive coming from someone who lives in Dallas, has 4 kids (one newborn!), works a tech job by day and plays gigs all over the place on special occasions/weekends, because he loves to, and has a supportive family.

What a great inspiration to learn from.

Tonight, I was once again reminded by the universe (and Doug!) that the money will come, friends. That doesn't need to be the motivating factor, unless that's all you want! Do what you love and stop making up excuses for why you can't. And have fun doing it, or what's the point!

Wishing you all great success in your journeys. May the force be with you. :)

Jentri


No comments:

Post a Comment