Jentri on Facebook

Friday, September 24, 2010

Quality Matters

Yesterday, Lorie and I had a production meeting about Lost In Sunshine, which always leaks over into a life-talk as well. I suppose that's because LIS has consumed so much of our lives. In fact, I always remind us, as if I have to, that we've invested chunks of our souls into this project. We mustn't ever give up on our goal to bring this beauty to fruition.

But it's hard. It's not a fluffy, light-hearted matter. Our everyday consists of working our asses off on something that hasn't produced a dime for our particular pockets. It's hard to explain to someone else why we do what we do. A partner or friend in this situation might say, "Why have you spent so much time on something that hasn't produced money?" And that's completely fair to ask!

My answer today, if not only to keep our sanity in check, is that - Quality Matters.

Last night, I was watching Jerry Seinfeld on Larry King Live. Because of the hardships this project (or some might say the economy!) has placed on our pocketbooks, and sometimes family-life, I really needed some kind of sign to tell me (or us) it would all be OK...

and then there it was... like a sign from God or the Universe, but in the shape of Jerry Seinfeld's head!

They were talking about how the first four years of Seinfeld had LOW ratings. Can you believe it? But somehow, it not only sustained, but persevered through the unsteady waters and became one of the most popular sitcoms of all time. Now, to be clear, I'm not comparing LIS to Seinfeld!!! But I am comparing our 'situation.'

Jerry's response to the low ratings? QUALITY. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "quality always lasts..."

It hit me like a ton of bricks. That's why I don't give up. I believe in LIS as much as I believe in anything else that matters. I believe in the quality of the story, the richness of the characters, the extremely talented (verbally attached) cast, the kick ass crew, my producer, executive producer, our web team, our show, my vision, and our potential to execute QUALITY. And that's why I can't give up. That's why I'll never give up.

I also feel this way about a couple of other on-going projects (i.e. Aether Paranormal). Why do we make these full-length crazy productions, when no one else is doing it independently (to this degree), or distributing our documentaries to a network (YET)? Because we believe in the quality of our team and the work we do.

Thank you, Jerry! Somehow I feel this strange connection to you now. ;)

We all go through phases of doubt. Wondering if all the sweat we put into our heart-projects counts. And I'm here today to tell you - YES! Yes, it does.

Keep rocking out your work. As long as it's quality, it will find its way and an audience - eventually.

If you don't believe me, watch CNN's Larry King Live with Seinfeld.

And if you haven't had a chance to watch our new episode of Sunny Side Up (part of our LIS show, each episode asks questions related to our film's theme!) featuring our producer, Lorie Marsh, you can catch it below.

With love & hope,
Jentri

ps. a lot of hope and faith helps, too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment